This is a personal account and does not express the views of the US Peace Corps

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Day in the Life

One of the questions I get asked most often is: What is your day-to-day life like? In short, it’s different every day. But, more often than not, there are 2 different kinds of days, frameworks if you will. Keep in mind, this is for right now, when there’s no school and everyone is in their fields all day.

Option 1: Vaccination Day

5:15 am: first alarm goes off, snooze for 10 mins
5:25: actually get out of bed, try, fail, and close my eyes again
5:30: stand up, and actually leave my bedroom,
    Breakfast/Morning Routine/Large glass of Caffeine of the day
6:00: Dieudonne bangs at my gate
Down as much caffeine as possible, stumble to the door, putting on shoes, grabbing my helmet and locking the door on the way
6:30: arrive at village and ride around on the moto playing Jingle bells, letting all the     mothers know we’ve arrived and it’s vaccination day.
7:00: after we set up, we wait around for mothers to show up. Then it’s baby-weighing time for me. Dieudonne takes care of the vaccinations
10:00: head back to the hospital
11:00: chat with the nurses and subject myself to the mind-numbing, presumptive and derogatory narrative of the doctor for the day.
12:00: go home for lunch, where I either whip something up or heat up leftovers
1:00 pm: chores that I didn’t do before I left: sweeping, washing dishes
2:00: free-time to either work or play at home, probably on my computer. Maybe prepare for a presentation coming up or just watch a TV show.
3:00 work out
4:00 bucket bath
5:00 visit neighbors time! I stroll around town, talking to my favorite people, hearing about their lives and their days, maybe help them cook dinner, maybe just sit around. It’s my integration time.
7:00 head back home, lock my gates, turn on some music and make some dinner
8:00 entertainment time! If there’s no power, I’ll often go and sit in my hammock and read. If there is, I’ll watch a movie or TV show.
10:30: bed-time!

Option 2: No Vaccination Day

8:30: stir from my coma and Frankenstein into the kitchen for coffee.
9:30: morning chores and/or prep for the day
10:30: go to the hospital, talk to the staff and or patients. Maybe do some work there. Mostly just talk about differences between America and Cameroon
12:00: Lunch time
1:00 work or me-time.
3:00 work out
4:00 bucket back
5:00 visit neighbors
and so on and so forth. I guess the only thing that really changes are my mornings.

I spend a lot of time not doing a whole lot right now. It’s Ramadan, so if people aren’t in their fields, they’re sleeping underneath trees, waiting to eat. It rains almost every day, so I spend more time inside than in dry season. But I have also planted my own little field too. I’ve got potatoes and tomatoes sprouting and this weekend, I planted squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, mesculin, leeks, more tomatoes, peas, beans, lima beans, basil, parley, oregano, chives, and some other things. We’ll see how green my thumb is. I’m pretty excited though. Although, I did make a rookie mistake and forgot sunscreen on the lower part of my back while spending all day leaning over, planting and hoeing. So I am currently nursing a very sunburned back. That’ll teach me! So yeah, my life in Africa!

1 comment:

  1. Ahaha!

    "10:30: go to the hospital, talk to the staff and or patients. Maybe do some work there. Mostly just talk about differences between America and Cameroon"

    Thats all people want to do here, that and discuss why English is so hard to learn.

    ReplyDelete