This is a personal account and does not express the views of the US Peace Corps

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How about a glass of water?


Hey all, first of all, let me just express my thanks openly. When I got to Maroua, I found our PO Box there full of letters, notes, and packages for me. I feel so downright loved. Thank you family and friends for your well wishes, your thoughts, and the action of putting that love in my little mailbox. You’ll be hearing from me!

Unfortunately, now, more than ever, my internet use is super limited. Internet in Maroua was down, and my internet key that I have at post uses a carrier that has been out of service for three weeks at the time of my writing. As a result. I have these updates piling up, as well as emails to check and responses to send. So, please forgive me my delay in answering any email, facebook (although, please I prefer email), or any other type of messaging (although in that case, you’ll probably never get an answer, with my limited internet time, I tend to focus on my email).

Enough for excuses: my update! Today was really extremely successful day, in more ways than one. I woke up at 5:30 to get ready to go “en brusse”, meaning that we went out to a small isolated village where people have a hard time coming in to the hospital. I do this one of my counterparts a few times a week. We end up hitting each of the little villages in our area about once a month. There we do our vaccination campaigns. Meaning, that my counterpart actually sticks them, while I try to communicate with the mothers (very hard considering none of these women in the villages speak French; depending on the village, they speak either Fulfulde or Kapsiki), and when that fails, just make funny faces at kids and sometimes hold one or two. Today, I had the lucky chance to meet a mom and her 3-hour-old daughter. While I still haven’t witnessed any births yet, this isn’t the first newborn that I’ve met and I’ve been able to watch and even help with the Prenatal consultations at the hospital. This village, Ploumtom, is one that I’ve written of before; this is the village with the little girl with suspected polio. It’s a cute little village on top of a hill above a small stream. You can see the mountainous landscape for miles.

When we got to Ploumtom, my counterpart (hereto after referred to as Dieudonne) did the rounds with his loudspeaker that plays jingle bells, letting mothers know we’ve arrived. While we waited for them to show up, we visited some of Dieudonne’s friends. The first house we visited was dark and smoky. We went in and sat on the matt they rolled out for us. Welcoming us into her home was the oldest, skinniest, most lively little old lady I’ve ever seen. You could see every muscle and sinew in her arms and legs. She was so cute. Through Dieudonne, she joked with me about finding me a husband and coming back to the states with me.

From there, we visited the house of Dieudonne’s cousin. She married the village medicine man. When we got there he and his grandson were busy preparing some natural remedies against Typhoid. This consisted of smashing sticks and pulverizing some bark. On the bowl at his feet he already had shredded leaves and what looked like mulch. Dieudonne, who works for the hospital, said his medicine was effective and took a swig of another medicine in front of me. It looked like apple cider gone very bad with cloudy mold floating in it. I politely declined.

From there, we continued with the vaccines. There weren’t many mother’s today, but there was a mother with the first set of twins I’d seen here. They were telling me how here, after twins are born, its required to through a huge party, or else both will die before they reach three months old. On their necks, they had strings with little leather pouches sewed on. Apparently these are to guard the kids against the spirits that come and kill little kids. (bandits maybe? Or a supernatural explanation for natural sickness?)

From there, we left to head back to town, but we took a little detour. Dieudonne took me to see the dam/lake that apparently the Catholic mission is building. I have my doubts about the source of the funding, but I’ll explore. The scene was something out of the Prince of Egypt crossed with Bob the builder. Topless men with hard hats on were wielding jackhammers, pickaxes, shovels, wheelbarrows, and survey equipment. They had, in the last year and half, constructed a huge hole, at least 100 feet deep in some parts. Men with pickaxes broke up the ground as they expanded the hole. Men with shovels worked behind them, throwing dirt into the wheelbarrows which were efficiently carted up by a assembly line of wheelbarrows. On the other side of the hole were men tackling the large stones, breaking them apart little by little with huge hammers. I felt transported back in time to the railroad days. It was something to see. Apparently it will be done in two years time (after I leave of course). But this dam is designed to be the solution to the water problems of Mogode.

Water is a huge problem in Mogode. Wells are abundant, however, wells are not nearly deep enough to get into deep groundwater sources, and therefore, dry up in March. There are two forages in town. One is the Catholic Missions and the other you have to pay 5000 a year to use, eliminated the ability to most of the people of Mogode to use it. A forage is a well so deep that instead of pulling water up, you pump it up, using one of many foot mechanisms. These tend not to dry up, but if they’re not dug deep enough, they can. Starting in March, there’s a huge water shortage here in Mogode. There are local villages that have small streams that you can dig in to find water, or some towns have forages. Mogode, though, is notorious for its water problem. I’ve been thinking about working on trying to get a forage for public use started while I’m here, but it looks like they might already have a solution to the water problem in the works. I’m going to investigate though. I plan on heading over to the Catholic Mission sometime this week.

The rest of my day at the hospital was devoted to teach the head of the Health Center (he’s in charge of day to day issues like inventory, ect) how to use excel. I may have stated this before, but the hospital has numerous computers that aren’t being used. I brought it to the doctors attention in order to try to get one of them made available to the staff and the pharmacy. Stupidly, I volunteered to help teach people how to use the computers and programs. The doctor and one of the other coordinators took this out of context and have officially made me their “IT guy”. They’ve asked me to make wedding invitations, reproduce excel spreadsheets (that already existed) and other stupid things. Being as “nice” or “passive aggressive” (choose the word choice you prefer), I haven’t objected, but I’ve started avoiding the doctor and coordinator. It’s something I’m going to have to deal with at some point. I’m certainly not here to be a computer expert and that’s not how I want to make a difference. I’m happy to teach them how to use computers and reallocate resources to improve their efficiency, but at some point, I’m going to have to say no to wedding invitations. A happy balance will have to be struck.

Life at home is good. A package full of spices and love arrived from my family (sent around thanksgiving) so my food situation has improved significantly. The puppies are so cute, but such a pain in my butt! I’ve started weaning them, which Nousnous caught onto with excitement. In the meantime, I’m dealing with pee-puddles and little turds all over the house whenever I let them in. They’ve started stealing things like paper (pictures that have fallen off the wall), shoes, socks, ect and bringing them into their little doghouse. They’ve dug up one of my tomato plants 5 times. They are trouble makers. But it’s so nice to come home and watch their three cute little faces peek out of the doghouse right before they come running up, jumping and licking me all over. I’ll be happy when they’re gone (3 is too much) but I do love having them here. I’ll try to post some photos. This is particularly long update, rambling and stream of consciousness, but hopefully you followed. All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment