This is a personal account and does not express the views of the US Peace Corps

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Goodbye Boston

Up until today, the idea that I was leaving my friends, my home, and most of my possessions seemed abstract and a long ways off. Today, it started to click. Today I'm starting to feel the sadness putting distance between people and places that I love. Last night, my sister and her (my old) roomates threw me a goodbye party. So many freaking people showed up. I was floored, completely surprised. Some people came 20 or 30 minutes out of their way just to say goodbye before leaving. Just writing about this, I'm starting to tear up a little bit. :) I went through the whole night just hugging one person and then another, I felt like a monkey swinging from tree to tree. But there were so many faces and at the end of the night, I said goodbye to every one. Granted, most of them (hopefully all of them) are see-you-laters as opposed to goodbyes, that just not how it felt.
At one point during the night, my sister stands in the middle of the room, gathered attention and started a rap song. Apparently she got most of my friends in on it as groups of people from around the room yelled out a line here and there. Simply for entertainment purposes, I include it here for you all to read:

Fresh Princess of Cameroon
Rapped to the beat of "Fresh Prince of Belair"
Written by the Lovely Katie Greenman

Now this is a story set to a tune
About my sister Suzie
Who got sent to Cameroon

So we're gonna take your time, chill out don't be shady
So we can tell you all about this incredible young lady

In the southeast of Fl, born and raised
On the beach in bikini where she spent most of her days

Chillin out, studying, setting the standard for cool
Hitting Alaska and Germany instead of high school

Then the years went by and she headed to Mass
To study premed where MIT kicked her ass

She made a few friends and studied hardcore
And decided that one day she wanted to be called doctor

This summer before she left, she got a new family tree
When she came to live what us a 2 Ossipee

It was this summer that we all came to see
Just how great, fun, and genuine this person can be

She can bake, she can study, she's kinda the best
And if you don't believe it- yo check out her breast!

So she's off to Africa, cause she thought "What the hell?!"
I'm joining the fucking peace corps, it'll be swell

And maybe over there she'll try some new chocolate
Scream Oy Vay as she pop locks and drops it

She's bound to make a difference
We all know we know it

She's got the love seed and is about to grow it

So thanks for your time, attention and joy
And lets love her up before she deploys!

Freaking awesome right?! So that's how my four years in Boston ended, getting "loved up" by my closest friends, toasting, hugging, and crying. Then they were gone and the last goodbyes went out. I had to say goodbye to my little sister, whom I had lived with this summer and spent exorbitant amounts of time with the last three years as we explored Boston and college together. If that is the hardest goodbye I have to say, I will be relieved. 
I'm leaving Boston, looking at the skyline and crying some more (really I'm not normally such a tear works factory) but as I'm writing this, it's all just feeling a whole lot more complete and satisfying. It's fear of losing touch with these people or coming back and finding that our friendships have wasted away that makes this such a terrifying prospect. But if last night was any indication, I don't think that will happen. 
So with my mind reeling, and bags under my eyes from a well-lived lack of sleep, I close this chapter in my live and start the next one. And now my computer is dying, so I'm gonna bounce for now. Thank you all for loving me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment